1 Oblong Watermelon
Star-shaped cookie cutters
- Using an oblong watermelon, slice ¼ inch off the bottom lengthwise to provide a stable base.
- Use a pencil to draw lines for handle placement and basket opening. Cut the handle first, wide enough to hold stars, then make zig-zag cuts with a paring knife, all the way through the rind (be careful to not cut through handle base on either side).
- Carefully remove sections, pull out large chunks of flesh, and cut them into 3" x 3" squares.
- From squares, trim off 3/4" thick slices to use for cutting out stars. To cut stars use 1 1/2" to 3" star shaped cookie cutters.
- Next, cut out 5 large star shaped pieces from the left-over rind, (use a paring knife if necessary), for the handle. Trim off red flesh and attach to basket handle with white side out with half toothpicks.
- Use an ice cream scoop to remove flesh from inside of basket and cut scoops into quarters for the fruit salad. Place in bottom of the basket.
- Use a white fleshed melon such as ripe honeydew to cut out white "stripes" for salad.
- Garnish top of fruit salad with watermelon stars, melon stripes, and blueberries.