- 1 round to oval shape watermelon- preferably yellow
- Kitchen & paring knives
- Cutting board
- Green dry erase marker
- Large bowl & spoon
- Channel knife
- Chocolate wafer cookies- minis & regular
- Fall fruits to make the fruit salad for filling
- Wash the watermelon under cool running water and pat dry.
- On a cutting board, place the watermelon on its side and cut off 1/4"-1/2" from the stem end being careful not to cut too deep into the white part of the rind. This will provide a sturdy base.
- Pick out the best looking side of the watermelon to make your front of the owl. On the opposite side, use the dry-erase marker to draw a line to section off the back top quarter of the watermelon.
- Use a kitchen knife to remove the back section of the owl and hollow out using a spoon, reserving the watermelon fruit to use for your fruit salad.
- Use a scrap piece of watermelon rind to form two feet, a nose and an eyebrow.
- Use the channel knife to make a pattern for the stomach of the owl to resemble feathers.
- Use the chocolate wafer cookies for the eye. Separate the two mini chocolate wafer cookies and reserve the two sides without filling and separate the two regular chocolate wafer cookies, reserving the two sides with the crème filling.
- Attach the eyebrow, eyes, nose and feet with toothpicks.
- Fill the owl with fruit salad and serve.