- 1 Symmetrical watermelon
- 1 knife
- Pencil or marker
- Select a symmetrical watermelon. If necessary, cut a thin slice from the bottom of the watermelon so it sits level.
- Draw a straight line (just above the middle) lengthwise around the watermelon for the basket's edge.
- Draw a handle diagonally across the top as shown in the photograph.
- Draw a bow as shown in the photograph so that one edge of the bow is connected to the basket's edge.
- Cut and remove the top sections leaving the handle and bow intact.
- Scoop out the flesh from inside the watermelon, leaving just a trace of red.
- Drain the watermelon before filling.