Balsamic Onion Caprese
A perfect appetizer for hosting a dinner party or even as a salad.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 onion sweet, large, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup extra dry vermouth
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup aged basalmic vinegar
- 1 pound fresh water packed mozzarella, sliced into 15 slices
- 15 slices of 2 1/2 inch X 2 1/2 inch X 1/2 inch thick slices of seedless watermelon
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet over medium high heat. Add onions and sauté for about 5 minutes until onions are golden in color and slightly toasted. Reduce heat to medium. Add the vermouth and sugar to the pan and simmer until most of the liquid has evaporated from the pan. Stir in the balsamic and sauté another few minutes. Remove from heat and cool. Alternate slices of cheese and watermelon on a serving platter or up to 4 individual salad plates. Spoon onion mixture over watermelon and mozzarella slices. Garnish with fresh basil.
Makes 5 servings.