Cucumber Shrimp Cocktail
A traditional favorite with a new twist.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- bunch scallions, trimmed and chopped
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- dash cracked pepper or hot pepper sauce to taste
- 1 pound cooked, cleaned and chilled cocktail shrimp
- 1 cucumber peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 4 3 inch watermelon circles
- 1 thin breadstick, sugar cane swizzles or celery sticks for garnish
Heat the oil in a sauté pan over medium high heat. Add the scallions and sauté. Remove from heat and stir in sesame oil. Set aside. Whisk together the lime juice, water, sugar, salt and garlic. Spice to taste with pepper or pepper sauce. Stir in the shrimp, cucumber and cilantro. Mix well then chill.
Divide the watermelon among 4 small dishes. Divide the shrimp and cucumber mixture over the watermelon and drizzle the scallion mixture over the top of each cocktail.
Makes 4 servings.