Greek Yogurt Panna Cotta
This delicate, smooth cream is so delicious you won't believe that it's almost fat free (traditional panna cotta is 69 percent fat calories!) and has a third of the calories of the original version. It supplies ample calcium, is low in sodium, and of course, has all the nutrition goodness of watermelon, including a hefty dose of lycopene, the antioxidant that gives watermelon its red color.
- Panna Cotta
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup fat free half & half
- 4 tablespoons sugar (or Splenda)
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 6 ounces fat free, plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 serving Pam cooking spray
- Raspberry Sauce
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- dash salt to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon cardamom spice
- 1 cup seedless watermelon puree
- 1/3 cup frozen or fresh raspberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
1. Sprinkle gelatin over water in a small bowl. Stir and let stand for 5 minutes.
2. Combine half & half and sugar in a medium saucepan. Warm over medium heat until it simmers. Remove from heat, add gelatin mixture, and stir until the gelatin is dissolved and the mixture is smooth. Set aside and cool, approximately 45 minutes.
3. Stir buttermilk, yogurt, grated orange rind, vanilla and salt into the cream mixture.
4. Pour into 6 custard cups or ramekins (spray bottom of cups with Pam). Refrigerate for at least 3 hours until panna cotta sets.
5. Run a thin knife around the edges and set each ramekin in hot water for 1 minute to loosen the gel. Place a plate on top of each ramekin and invert to allow the panna cotta to settle onto the plate.
6. SAUCE: Combine sugar, cornstarch, salt and cardamom into a small saucepan. Whisk to combine. Add watermelon puree, raspberries and lemon juice. Stir to combine. Heat over medium heat, whisking until thick. Do not boil. Remove from heat and let cool. You may pass liquified berries through a fine sieve to remove seeds. Pour sauce over panna cotta and serve.
Makes 6 servings.