Pecorino, Watermelon and Shrimp Appetizer
Serving up to 36, this appetizer is perfect for a large crowd.
- 8 cups inexpensive balsamic vinegar
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 pound fresh or dried figs, chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 1 seedless watermelon cut into small cubes (flesh from the watermelon)
- 5 - 7 pounds cooked, cleaned, tailed, chilled cocktail shrimp
- 3 - 4 cups shredded Pecorino cheese
Heat the balsamic, sugar, figs and salt until reduced by 1/3 in volume.
Plate up to 3 dozen appetizer plates or wine glasses with the watermelon cubes. Sprinkle with chopped basil. Arrange the shrimp atop the watermelon and sprinkle the cheese over all. Spoon the balsamic/fig reduction over each appetizer before serving.
Makes up to 36 servings.