Philippine Grilled Watermelon and Pork Belly Salad
Created by The Culinary Institute of America as an industry Service to the Watermelon Board.
- Pork Belly
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup watermelon juice
- 6 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 ea. lime, juice of
- 3 pounds pork belly, raw, uncured, skin removed
- Watermelon Rind Relish
- 1 1/2 pounds watermelon rind, peeled, cut into 1/4 dice
- 6 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 6 ea. cilantro stems, cut into 1/4" pieces
- 2 ea. garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Watermelon Adobo Dressing
- 1/2 cup watermelon, pureed
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons red watermelon, 3" x 3" square pieces, cut about 1" thick
- 8 ea. yellow watermelon, 3" x 3" square pieces, cut about 1" thick
- 1/4 cup peanut oil
- 3 ea. green onions, trimmed and sliced
- 3 ea. shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 ea. thai chilies, thinly sliced
- 2 ea. kaffir lime leaves, julienned
- 1 ea. ginger, 2" piece, peeled and minced
- 1 cup cilantro leaves, torn
- 1 cup thai basil leaves, torn
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 8 cups peanut oil, for frying
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- salt as needed
- ground black pepper as needed
1. For the pork belly: Preheat the oven to 325°F. Combine sugar, watermelon juice, rice vinegar, soy sauce, fish sauce and lime juice in a bowl and stir to combine.
2. Place pork belly in an oven proof dish and cover with the mixture. Cover with foil.
3. Braise belly for 2 hours in the oven. Chill. Once cold, cut the pork belly into 1 inch cubes.
4. For the watermelon rind relish: Combine watermelon rinds with sugar, vinegar, lime juice, cilantro stems, garlic, ginger, and salt. Let sit for 1 hour refrigerated.
5. Combine all the dressing ingredients into a sauce pot, bring to a simmer, and cool.
6. For the dressing: Place all the dressing ingredients together in mixing bowl and whisk together until combined.
7. For the salad: Coat watermelon pieces in peanut oil and grill on high until charred on both sides. Cut in half.
8. Coat pork belly in flour, salt and pepper and deep fry at 350°F until crispy.
9. To assemble: Toss pork belly with watermelon rind relish, and the rest of the salad ingredients. Toss with the dressing.
10. Plate grilled watermelon pieces with the pork belly salad on top. Garnish with basil leaves and additional rind relish.
Makes 8 portions