Tips for Eating Healthy During Holiday Travels
The holiday season is upon us! Chances are you’re traveling to see loved ones or taking a long (and much needed) vacation. Either way, eating healthy while rushing from one hearty meal to another is a common struggle that most of us share this time of year. Rather than packing sugary sodas loaded with caffeine or salty pre-packaged snacks, lean on watermelon for your ‘in-between’ needs.
Watermelon is ideal for snacking because it fills you up without filling you out. Score! Plus, each juicy bite delivers nutrients like vitamin C and B vitamins. Follow these five tips for healthier holiday travels:
- Prepare healthy snacks ahead of time. Travel plans are typically made weeks, if not months, before the holidays come around. Take that time to make healthy snacks for the car ride to the airport or to grandma’s house. Make watermelon protein balls for a bite-sized treat or slice for easy popsicles to-go.
- Start your holiday travels right. Does your itinerary include hitting the road before breakfast? Avoid the clutter of greasy paper bags and pack a nutritious, homemade meal to go! From protein-powered parfaits to fiber-rich breakfast pops, there are plenty of ways eat healthy while on the go.
- Keep it light. The holidays would not be complete without staples like turkey and mashed potatoes. Avoid the traveling food coma with a light, flavorful salad! Simply stack or mix in a mason jar for an ultra-convenient to-go container.
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Keeping hydrated is important but often overlooked during the winter months. Quench your thirst while on-the-go with tasty watermelon juice or brighten up “regular” water by infusing with sweet watermelon.
- When in doubt, stick to the basics. The hustle and bustle of the holidays don’t just happen on one day. It’s a season-long struggle. Fortunately, eating healthy while on the road is made easy with the help of watermelon! Cut watermelon into slices, dices, or dippers for an easy (and nutritious) on-the-go snack.
Whether you are driving, flying or hopping a sleigh ride to grandma’s house, watermelon is ideal for healthy snacking between hearty holiday meals. What are some of your on-the-go tips and tricks? Tell us in the comments below!
No comments have been made for this post...