Summer is (finally) here and that means barbecues, sandy beaches, and fireworks! Whether you are planning a much-needed vacay or lounging pool-side, we can all agree the sunny season is best spent outdoors. Fortunately, you don’t need a lavish trip to the Caribbean for a full experience. Make the most of the summer season in your own backyard!
Independence Day weekend is the ideal time for gathering with family for a backyard BBQ. Dust off the grill and break out classic yard games, such as bag toss, for a fun game everyone can enjoy. Let’s not forget the ultimate summertime snack: chin-dribblin’ watermelon! Not only is juicy watermelon delicious, but also provides a variety of benefits needed to keep going in the hot summer sun:
- Hydration: At 92 percent water, watermelon is a tasty way to keep hydrated during those long summer days. Cube, slice, or cut into sticks for an easy on-the-go snack!
- Lycopene: Did you know watermelon is the lycopene leader among fresh fruits and vegetables? This powerful antioxidant may help aid in sun protection – helping keep skin safe and healthy in the summer sun.
From the food to the drinks, nothing says summer quite like a delicious backyard barbecue spread. Turn up the heat on your hosting skills with these tips for throwing the best BBQ bash:
1. Apps on apps: No one enjoys waiting for grilled grub on an empty stomach. Before breaking out the burgers and dogs, hold guests over with tasty apps such as guac and chips. Swap tomatoes with watermelon for a sweet twist!
2. Keep it fresh: Your barbecue spread has it all: smoky meats, tangy baked beans, and crisp corn on the cob. Be sure to also leave room for fresh, savory pizza on the picnic table. Grab a slice, it will be gone before you know it!
3. Don’t forget the drinks: A tart granita mocktail is just what your backyard bash needs. Plus, this frozen treat is a refreshing way to cool off. Make it adult-only by adding vodka or tequila to the mix. Cheers!
4. Add functional décor: What’s a barbecue without festive decorations? Ditch the flimsy plastic centerpieces for a grill carving you can also eat! Don’t stop there. A watermelon keg carving is perfect for serving refreshing summer drinks.
5. Try something new: Did you know the rind of a watermelon edible (and delicious)? Serve juicy grilled burgers with a side of rind slaw for a memorable backyard experience.
No comments have been made for this post...