- 1 large oblong seeded or seedless watermelon
- Mermaid Tail template
- Kitchen Knife & paring knife
- Cutting board
- Green dry erase marker
- Channel knife
- Large bowl & spoon or scoop
- Dowels & toothpicks
- Decorations (optional)- Mermaid cookie cutters, light blue or turquoise fabric, mermaid decorations, edible turquoise shimmer powder/disco dust
- Wash the watermelon under cool running water and pat dry.
- On a cutting board, place the watermelon on its side and cut off 3-4” from one end of the watermelon to provide a sturdy base. Cut the remaining watermelon in half length wise.
- Hollow out both halves of the watermelon with a spoon or scoop, reserving the watermelon pieces to dice up for serving or for cutting out mermaid shapes.
- Use dry erase marker on the top half to trace the mermaid tail template or freehand a tail to fill the front of the watermelon. With the knife of your choice, carefully trim away to form the outline of the mermaid tail. Use the Channel knife to form scales and details.
- For added detail, brush on edible turquoise shimmer powder/disco dust (can be purchased at a cake decorating store or craft store with a cake decorating section).
- Use pencil sized dowels to secure the mermaid tail to the top of the base. Decorate with watermelon cubes or mermaid watermelon cut outs and serve.