- Wash the watermelon under cool running water and pat dry.
- On a cutting board, place the watermelon on its side and cut off 1/4”-1/2” from the stem end, this will provide a sturdy base. Reserve the end piece to make into a small cactus.
- Stand the watermelon upright on the base. Use a dry erase marker to do a simple outline of your favorite cactus shape.
- 1/3 the way from the bottom of the watermelon, draw a straight line around the back, being careful not to go through the cactus outline, this will create your serving bowl for the watermelon salsa.
- Use the kitchen knife to cut around and away your outline, leaving just the bowl with the cactus attached. Scoop out the base to form a bowl.
- From the pieces of the watermelon that were cut away from the carving use cookie cutters to make cactus pieces for props and flower pieces to decorate with and chop up the remaining watermelon to make your favorite watermelon salsa and your favorite watermelon margarita or juice to serve.
- Attach toothpicks randomly around the cactus to make thorns and decorate with watermelon flowers to look like cactus flowers. Decorate the bottom rind scrap with toothpicks to resemble a short round cactus.
- Fill the bowl with watermelon salsa and serve with tortilla chips.