- Oblong watermelon
- Channel knife (often found at the top of a vegetable peeler)
- Crinkle cutter if desired for shapes
- Round cookie cutter (or substitute)
- Letter stencil and pen
- Candles, confetti and other celebratory decorations
- Wash the watermelon. Using an oblong seeded watermelon, cut a ¼ inch slice off the bottom to provide a stable base.
- Slice the top 1/3 of the melon lengthwise, leaving about 2/3 of the melon on the bottom. Carve the top edge into a round scallop or pyramid pattern, keeping the cuts small.
- Cut out the flesh, leaving two 1" thick slices in tact for "cake". Use the cookie or biscuit cutter to create the two cake layers. Slice the "icing" from the white part of the rind from the top piece you removed. Place the "cake" to the side.
- Using a crinkle cutter or a knife, cut the remainder of fruit into desired, bite-sized shapes. Combine with other fruits and place in the refrigerator.
- Draw 'CELEBRATE', a person's name, or other personalized message onto the front of the watermelon using your stencil and pen. Make sure to leave some space between the letters. Using the channel knife, trace your carving around the letters very shallowly, just deep enough to scrape off the dark green part of the rind.
- Fill the basket with the fruit mixture and place the "cake" (on a small dish or plate for stability) on top. Finish off the cake with candles and fruit, and surround your plate with decorative confetti.