- 1 round watermelon
- Large slicing knife
- Melon baller
- Paring knife
- Flower shaped cookie cutters
- Using a round watermelon, slice ¼ inch off the end to provide a stable base.
- Determine the desired height of your carving and, using a pencil, draw a line all the way around the watermelon. Cut off top with a large slicing knife.
- Use the knife to remove top portion of the watermelon, which will be used to create the flowers. Remove the flesh with a melon baller to make fruit salad.
- Use a pencil to draw smile, making adjustments in scale to your particular watermelon. Use a paring knife to carve out eyes and mouth. Cut 1/4" slices from the rind of the removed top portion, and cut with flower shaped cookie cutters.
- Use sturdy round toothpicks to attach flowers to head, and to attach decorative melon balls on top of flowers to form the centers.
- Fill carving with salad of watermelon, honeydew, and cantaloupe balls.