Watermelon Ice Cream Bars
Decadent and delicious, these ice cream bars are sweetened with watermelon juice and honey. Like all ice cream, these bars need to be served and consumed immediately. Enjoy this sweet and creamy treat any time of the year.
- For the Watermelon Curd
- 3/4 cup watermelon juice
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 cup honey
- pinch of salt
- 3 eggs lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick), cut into small cubes
- For the whipped cream
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- For the crust
- 8 graham crackers crushed
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- pinch of salt
- varied amount basil leaves for garnish
- Make the watermelon curd by combining the watermelon juice, lime juice, honey and salt in a medium, heavy bottomed saucepan. Stir to combine, then add the lightly beaten eggs.
- Place the pan over medium heat and cook, adding the cubed butter to the pan, and stir constantly, until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a wooden spoon. Immediately remove from the heat and carefully pour through a fine mesh sieve. Allow the mixture to cool completely in the refrigerator. While the curd cools, make the crust.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Add the graham crackers to a food processor and pulse until rough crumbs form. Add the honey, salt, and melted butter and pulse until the mixture resembles wet sand.
- Line a 8 x 8 pan with parchment paper, then press the graham cracker mixture into the bottom of the pan in an even layer. Bake the crust for about 10 minutes or until just beginning to brown. Allow the crust to cool completely.
- When the crust and curd are completely cooled, whip the cream in a large bowl until stiff peaks form. Gently push the cream to one side of the bowl and pour in the watermelon curd. Using a spatula, gently fold the cream and watermelon curd together until no streaks are visible.
- Pour the creamy watermelon mixture over the graham cracker crust. Place the loaf pan in the freezer and let the dessert freeze completely, 4-6 hours or overnight.
- When ready to serve, loosen the sides with a small spatula or butter knife. Turn the bars out onto a cutting board and use a large spatula to flip so the graham cracker crust is on the bottom. Cut into 8 bars and top each bar with a basil leaf. Serve immediately.
Makes 8 Servings.