Watermelon Best Practices
Five Quick Tips for Marketing Watermelon
- Make the Most of Displays. Colorful bins and large displays grab attention and grab sales. Educate shoppers on selection, nutrition and more with point-of-sale materials.
- Display Whole & Cut Watermelon Side by Side. This creates great eye appeal and can increase sales of both.
- Get the Word Out – Watermelon is Delicious and Nutritious. Consumer research suggests that customers would purchase watermelon if they knew it was healthy and nutritious for them. Include nutrition information wherever you can – on signs and displays, in newsletters and ads or even on social media!
- The Entire Watermelon is Edible. According to our consumer research, a top barrier to purchasing watermelon cited “too big/convenient”, which spotlights the need to educate on all the ways to use watermelon in recipes utilizing the flesh, juice and the rind, as well as incorporating fresh cuts and mini watermelon to maximize convenience.
- Give Customers What They Crave All Year Long. It delivers year-round sales, even in cold climates. Keeping watermelon top of mind year-round is another key ingredient to increasing demand for watermelon. During the import season, there is a push for fresh-cut in order to keep the product front of mind. While it is understandable that there will not necessarily be bins of whole watermelon to showcase, it is still a great hydrator, nutritious, wonderful in seasonal recipes during import season, and still a great snack on the go as fresh-cut or juice.
Watermelon queens have been spreading the love of watermelon and boosting sales across the nation for over 50 years. They enjoy educating and adding sparkle to promotions and special events on behalf of the watermelon industry. The watermelon queens are trained promotional ambassadors who represent watermelon on the regional, national, and international levels. There are 8 state and 1 national watermelon queen, and they work hard to get the word out about watermelon by:
- Showing grocery store customers how to choose the best watermelons
- Hosting Watermelon Day events at local schools
- Talking up watermelon with on-air radio personalities
- Sharing watermelon’s health benefits with TV news anchors
- Conducting in-store watermelon recipe demonstrations
- Sampling multiple watermelon bins of slices at fairs and festivals
- Judging festival seed spitting or watermelon eating contests
Contact us for more information.
Stay on top of what’s happening with Watermelon
Sign up here to receive the monthly What About Watermelon? enewsletter with seasonal tips, tricks and recipes.