Thanks Valerie! We try to add a few new carving ideas annually. Look for our 2017 additions in January!
- 1 Oblong watermelon
- Melon baller or other scoop spoon
- Channel knife (you can substitute with the top of a standard vegetable peeler)
- Dry erase marker
- 2 Peppercorns, or other eye pieces
- Fruit salad
- Leaves, plants, or other accents as desired
- Toothpicks or other skewers
- Choose an oblong seedless watermelon for carving.
- Wash watermelon and pat dry.
- Cut in half lengthwise.
- Hollow out both sides, using a melon baller.
- Carve out block design in the bottom side, using a channel knife. (Copy from photo).
- Use a dry erase marker to trace turtle shell, legs, and head on top side of watermelon.
- Carve shapes with knife, and add designs with channel knife.
- Add peppercorns to the eye holes to fill.
- Fill bottom with fruit salad.
- Attach legs and head to shell, using strong toothpicks or skewers, and put on top of salad. Add accents around base with leaves and plants.