Recipe created by Chef Joe Poon for the National Watermelon Promotion Board.
- 4 cups watermelon, juiced
- 2 cups watermelon (white part), diced small
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 onion medium, white and sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon mace
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves, ground
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno peppers
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 lemon juiced
- 2 tablespoons currants
- 2 tablespoons roasted walnuts
Reduce watermelon juice over medium heat to 2 cups. Combine all ingredients, and simmer until almost dry. Chill and serve.
Makes 1 pint.