This entry is part of the 2018 Use the Whole Watermelon Recipe Contest Winners. Enjoy a double dose of watermelon with this Watermelon Chutney! Using both watermelon juice and rind, this recipe by Mireille Roc won the Juice category in the 2018 Use the Whole Watermelon recipe contest. With bold flavors, this chutney is similar to a relish and has notes of hot and cool, with warm Indian spices and aromas complementing the sweet watermelon juice.
- In a food processor, coarsely chop the chillies, ginger, curry leaves and onion.
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan, heat the oil.
- Add cumin seed and fry for about 30 seconds until it starts to change color.
- Add chopped vegetables from the food processor.
- Saute until they soften, about 2 minutes.
- Add watermelon rind, juice, vinegar, lemon juice, sugar, salt, cayenne pepper and garam masala. Bring to a boil.
- Boil for 20 minutes stirring occasionally, until thickened and most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Chill and serve with crackers as a snack or with your favorite flatbread. Shown with mini naan bread.
Leave a Review