Bat Jack O'Melon
- 2 round watermelons- preferably yellow for the body
- Kitchen & paring knives
- Cutting board
- Green dry-erase marker (preferably washable)
- Large bowl & spoon
- Candy corns
- 4-6" wooden skewers
- Candle or light
- Wash the watermelons under cool running water & pat dry.
- On a cutting board, place the roundest watermelon on its side & cut off 1/4"-1/2" of the stem end, being careful not to cut too deep into the white part of the rind. This will provide a sturdy base.
- Using the dry-erase marker, draw two eyes, an oval for a nose and a smiling mouth that would resemble a bat. Draw two ears and an outline of a forehead, continuing the line around to make the top for the bat that will be removed.
- Use a knife to carefully cut away the inside of the eyes, nose and mouth and also around the top of the watermelon. Remove the top of the watermelon & hollow out the watermelon with the spoon, reserving the fruit to use in a fruit salad or punch.
- On the second watermelon use the dry-erase marker to draw 2 bat wings (the top of the wings will have two points & the bottom of the wing will have three points.)
- Use a knife to carefully cut the wings out, reserving the inside of the watermelon to make fruit salad or punch.
- Attach the wings to the side of the watermelon bat with the wooden skewers and use the toothpicks to attach the candy-corn as fangs for the bat.
- Insert a candle to light up your bat.