- Oblong seeded watermelon
- Chef's knife
- Pairing knife (or you can use the end of a vegetable peeler)
- 5-10 toothpicks
- Butterfly and flower cookie cutters in assorted sizes
- 1 cantaloupe
- 1 honeydew
- Dry erase marker
- Wash and cut off ¼" of the bottom of the watermelon so that it sits flat.
- Using a dry erase marker, draw a wavy handle along the entire length of the watermelon. Connect the two far ends of your drawing along the front and back, so that you have outlined a handle and basket edge.
- Cut out the design and use the rind you removed to cut out decorations of butterflies and flowers.
- Hollow out and use this flesh to cut decorative shapes of butterflies and flowers. Also cut out butterfly and flower shapes from the cantaloupe and honeydew melons. Make sure to cut the flesh in thin sheets for the cookie cutters.
- Use the toothpicks to secure the cutouts on the handle.
- Fill with watermelon chunks and other colorful fruits as desired.