Grilled Thai Chicken
People report they feel more satisfied with less food when it is flavorful. This dish is low in fat and calories and packed with flavor. Serve with basmati rice and a tossed salad.
- 4 cups watermelon rind, fruit and outer green skin removed and cut into 1 /2 “ pieces
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup sugar (or 1 /2 cup sugar and 1/4 cup Splenda)
- 1/4 cup minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- dash salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can lite coconut milk
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon lemon grass paste
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- dash red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 4 skinned and boned chicken breasts (Cut into strips for satay skewers)
- bunch Wooden skewers
- some vegetable oil
1. Chutney. Place all ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium high heat. Bring to a gentle boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until rind is tender and translucent and liquid is syrupy, approximately 45 minutes. Cool chutney, uncovered, then chill in an airtight container up to three days to allow flavors to mellow.
2. Combine all chicken ingredients except chicken breasts in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a gentle boil, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat and cool.
3. Score chicken breasts to allow more flavor to penetrate into the meat. In a large plastic zip-lock bag, pour in cool marinade and chicken breast. Seal. Distribute marinade well, covering chicken. Place on a plate. Chill for one hour or more.
4. Heat grill, brushing surface with a little vegetable oil to keep chicken from sticking. Place marinated chicken breasts on hot grill, brushing with leftover marinade the first few times you turn them. Chicken is ready when meat inside is opaque and can be easily sliced. Serve with chutney.
Makes 4 servings.
Serving size: 1 serving
Calories per serving: 324
Fat per serving: 3.1g
Saturated fat per serving: 1.8g
Fiber per serving: 1.9g