On May 18th, we launched a new watermelon recipe and carving challenge inviting consumers to sharpen their knives, warm up their blenders and get ready for tasting and sharing by taking the Watermelon.org Recipe Challenge.
This year’s summer contest garnered nearly 200 entries by encouraging followers to put their spin on any recipe or carving found on Watermelon.org. Contestants searched the website, recreated recipes, and submitted them for wonderful watermelon prizes.
The judging was a mix of the unique spin, visual presentation and appearance. There were so many amazing entries, judges had a tough time coming up with their favorites and – in addition to three winners in each category – awarded five watermelon recipes with Honorable Mentions. Those entries, along with the winners, include:
- 1st Place – Watermelon Sea Turtle by Chris Emerling
- 2nd Place – Watermelon Penguin by Julie Beckwith
- 3rd Place – Watermelon Flip Flop Cake by Kari Wright
- 1st Place – Watermelon Coconut Froth by Maddie Reich
- 2nd Place – Watermelon Slushy by Elicia Polacek
- 3rd Place – Watermelon Grape Fizz by Daniellee Buonforte
- 1st Place – Watermelon Pizza by Tracy Kaifesh
- 2nd Place – Watermelon Dippers by Carmell Childs
- 3rd Place – Watermelon Mozzarella Salad by Michael Sabella
- Watermelon Rind Stir Fry by Ronna Farley
- Zesty Chicken Salad Cups by Hidemi Walsh
- Coconut Ice Cream Sandwiches by by Dani Lebowitz
- Watermelon Greek Salad by Lauren Wyler
- Blended Margarita by Cynthia Padovani
A big thank you to all that entered and congratulations to all our winners!