- Oblong watermelon
- Channel knife (or vegetable peeler)
- Whip cream
- Birthday candles and mint for garnish
- Choose a long watermelon with very straight sides for this carving. Wash watermelon and pat dry.
- Remove rounded ends.
- Cut 2 " thick horizontal rings from center section of watermelon, for desired cake height.
- Use a channel knife to carve one design into the rind of each ring. If you cannot find a channel knife, you can use the top of a standard vegetable peeler.
- Cut each ring into six even wedges.
- Arrange wedges from different rings to create a varied cake design, building to desired height.
- Top with berries and whipped cream, birthday candles and fresh mint leaves for garnish.