- Wash the watermelon and lay it on its side. Place knife on top of watermelon in the middle and make one vertical cut to slice the melon in half.
- Take one half and slice off the top end. Use a knife to cut out the flesh. This will be the base of the purse.
- Lay the other half slice-side down. Place knife blade at top in center and cut straight down to slice piece in half. Take one half and cut a piece about 1 ½" to 2" wide from the longest part to create the handle. Cut off flesh and use decorative cuts to carve this strip into the handle (shown with scallop edge cuts). Use toothpicks to attach the handle to the purse. Take remaining flesh and cut into ½" to 1" thick slices and set aside.
- From the remaining piece cut out the purse pocket, hollowing out the extra flesh. Attach with toothpicks to the front of the purse.
- Draw lip-shaped pieces of paper to use as templates. Cut out lip shapes from previously cut slices. Or use heart-shaped cookie cutters to cut the fruit.
- Fill the basket with watermelon lips and other fresh cut fruit as desired. Have fun decorating inside the pocket and the purse with rhinestones, ribbon, other ornaments, or little girls' dress-up sets from the toy store. You may need to use a hot glue gun to attach adornments to the outside of the purse (on the watermelon rind).