Stacked Jicama Chicken Salad
Here’s everything you need for a meal in a jar. Great for lunches, snacks, and on-the-go home-style take out, this stacked salad is packed with protein, fiber, and water, the 3 ingredients that fill you up before filling you out, so you don’t overeat. You also get a hefty dose of antioxidants (thanks to the watermelon, jicama, and curry powder) that protect you from head to toe from inflammation and most age-related diseases, a third of your daily need for magnesium (a mineral that helps calm the stress response), and lots of potassium to keep your heart and blood pressure in tip top shape.
- 1 pound skinned, boned chicken breasts, shredded
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup chutney
- 2 teaspoons curry
- 1/3 cup diced (or sliced) celery
- 2 tablespoons diced red onion
- 1/4 cup raisins or craisins
- 2 2/3 cups thin strips of watermelon (no longer than 2 1 /2 inches)
- 1 cup thin strips of peeled jicama (no longer than 2 1 /2 inches, match-stick size)
- 4 tablespoons chopped cashews
- 1 handful shredded romaine
- 4 pint, wide-mouth mason jars
1. Place chicken breasts in a medium saucepan, cover with water, and bring to a gentle boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer until cooked through, approximately 15 minutes depending on thickness of meat. Remove from water and let cool. Dice.
2. Cook rice according to directions on box. Refrigerate to cool.
3. In a medium bowl, blend mayonnaise, chutney, and curry until thoroughly blended. Add chicken, celery, onion, and raisins. Blend and refrigerate.
4. Divide rice and chicken mixture into 4 equal batches. Starting with the rice, layer approximately 1/4 cup of rice followed by 1/3 cup watermelon, 1/4 cup jicama, 1/3 cup of chicken. Repeat and top with 1 Tablespoon of chopped cashews and shredded romaine. Serve or screw a lid onto jar and refrigerate.
Makes 4 stacked salads.
Serving size: 1 stacked salad
Calories per serving: 391
Fat per serving: 7g
Saturated fat per serving: 1.5g
Cholesterol per serving: 65mg
Fiber per serving: 5.3g
Folate per serving: 38mcg
Vitamin C per serving: 22mg
Calcium per serving: 60mg
Magnesium per serving: 124mg Potassium per serving: 748mg
Sodium per serving: 185mg