Lips and Love Basket
- 1-2 long oval shaped seedless watermelons
- Kitchen & paring knives
- Cutting board
- Green dry erase marker
- Large bowl & spoon
- Melon baller
- Wooden skewers
- Fruits to make the fruit salad for filling
- Assorted cookie cutters (X, O, and Hearts), if desired
- Wash the watermelon under cool running water and pat dry
- On a cutting board, place the watermelon on its side and cut off 1/4"-1/2" from the stem end being careful not to cut to deep into the white part of the rind. This will provide a sturdy base.
- With the dry-erase marker, draw a scalloped line around the width of the middle of the watermelon.
- Use a paring knife to cut along the marker line then separate the two halves. Use the melon baller to scoop out the watermelon that will be your base.
- Cut the top half of the watermelon in half and use the dry erase marker to draw a large set of lips on one half. Use a paring knife to cut out the lips. Once you have the general shape, carefully carve away the rind. Use the paring knife to shape the lips into a more finished look.
- Cut the remaining 1/4 in thick slices and cut hearts, X's, O's or other shapes, discarding the rind.
- Attach the lips to the top of the base using wooden skewers and toothpicks.
- Slice the strawberries lengthwise into 1/4" slices, keeping the strawberry tops on for decoration, if desired. Attach a slice of strawberry with the green top to the center of each scallop using a toothpick. Use the rest of the strawberry slices in the fruit salad for the fruit bowl.
- Place the fruit bowl on a serving platter, fill with fruit salad & garnish with slices of fruit cut into hearts, X's & O's, if desired.