Watermelon infused to a traditional Boston dish! These crab cakes will turn heads and vanish fast!
- 8 ounces cooked, shelled and picked over crabmeat, drained
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup drained sweet pickle relish
- 3 tablespoons butter for frying
- 1 cup minced and drained watermelon
- 1/2 cup bottled chili sauce
In a bowl, mix the crab, eggs, mayonnaise, breadcrumbs and sweet pickle relish. Heat a generous amount of butter (you may use a combination of canola oil and butter if desired) in a 10- to 12-inch sauté pan over medium high heat. Using 2 teaspoons as tools, drop small dollops (about 1 teaspoon full) of the crab mixture into the butter and fry, turning once, until golden brown on each side. Fry the puffs in batches keeping them warm on a baking sheet in the oven as they come out of the pan. Mix together the watermelon and relish and serve with the crabcakes for dipping.
Makes about 16 servings (8 as an appetizer).