- Wash the watermelon under cool running water and pat dry.
- On a cutting board, place the watermelon on its side and cut 1/4-1/2 “ from the largest end, this will provide a sturdy base.
- Stand the watermelon up right on the base.
- With a dry erase marker draw a vertical line from the top center to about 1/3 the way from the bottom.
- Make a horizontal line to create a section from the back of the watermelon to create a bowl for cut fruit.
- The front part of the carving will create your egg shape and the back the fruit bowl. Use a knife to carefully cut away your outline that will be your fruit bowl, leaving just the egg shape and fruit bowl attached.
- Use the dry erase marker to create a decorative pattern on the front of the egg shape.
- Use a channel knife and melon baller to carve away and create your pattern of choice. If using a melon baller, you can turn the melon balls over in the same hole to create a 3 dimensional pattern.
- Hollow out the watermelon serving bowl portion with a spoon or oval ice cream scoop to create a larger egg shaped watermelon. Reserve the watermelon pieces to make diced watermelon or balls to fill the fruit bowl.
- For added sparkle or detail, brush edible shimmer powder or disco dust on the pattern.
- Fill the bowl with watermelon and cut fruit and place on a serving platter and decorate with any egg shaped melon pieces.