- Using an oblong watermelon, and slice ¼ inch off of the bottom lengthwise to provide a stable base.
- With a melon baller, cut half circles over half of the top of the watermelon in a rectangular shape and remove the piece. Set aside - this cut out piece will be used for the top fin and the tail.
- Scoop out the flesh and set aside to use later for fruit salad.
- Cut out the tail shape and the melon balled fin piece from the rectangular piece set aside earlier. Attach the fin and tail with sturdy, round toothpicks.
- Using a melon baller, cut out the eyes. With a knife, trim around the outside of the eye socket to create a rim. Then, place the melon ball back in the eye socket, rind side out.
- For the mouth, point a paring knife at a downward angle above the stem and slice through 3 inches on either side of the stem, cutting through the rind. Push out the mouth from the inside, to define.
- For the side fin, cut 3 cuts into the side using the melon baller to make the curves on the back of the fin. Then slice straight cuts to form the top and bottom of the fin.
- Fill with fruit salad.