- Wash and cut ¼" off of the bottom of the watermelon with your chef's knife.
- Use a dry erase marker draw the design outline, as seen in the final picture.
- With a paring knife, trim and cut away the top, including the cut out for the ears. Erase the marker lines. Hollow out the melon with large spoon or melon baller.
- From a scrap of the top cut a small triangle for the nose. Trim away a small line of green from the triangle so that it is lined with white. This will help it stand out when placed on.
- Use the melon baller to make 2 balls of watermelon flesh for the eyes.
- Use the channel knife to make stripes in the shape of triangles for the ears. Also, outline the face.
- Use the paring knife to form the eyes and fill in with the melon balls.
- Center 2 toothpicks to hold the mouth and the nose on. Loop the longest licorice piece between the toothpicks to hold it in place.
- Push the nose into place on the toothpicks. Secure with extra toothpicks as needed.
- Fill with watermelon and fruit salad filling.
- Use thin sheets of watermelon for cookie cutter decorations and tidbit filling shapes.