- Wash the watermelon under cool running water and pat dry. Read through the directions before you start.
- Drain and cut watermelon and other fruit before placing it in the carving. When removing excess flesh try to leave it in big pieces, it is easier for making melon balls or cubes. Use a green dry erase marker, wipe off excess marker after making cuts.
- Placing the watermelon on its side, cut ¼”- ½” off the yellow ground spot so it will lay flat. Be careful not to cut too deep into the white part of the rind – this would allow liquid to leak from the bottom of the carving.
Find a point at 1/3 the width of the watermelon and draw a vertical line down both sides, ending about half way down the side. From that point, draw an angled horizontal line back to the top of the watermelon, ending just 1”-2” from the far end of the watermelon. See photo.
- Cut along lines using the large kitchen knife. Remove excess rind and flesh in one large piece. Remove remaining watermelon flesh in large pieces. Hollow out the bottom of the watermelon, leaving a layer of red flesh throughout the inside. Set aside the flesh.
- Using the dry erase marker, draw the oversized smile and tooth pattern. Use a paring knife to make cuts to define teeth. Remove thin layer of dark green rind to expose lighter color rind to resemble teeth.
- Holding the paring knife like a pencil, make angled cuts down front edge of the teeth lines and remove excess rind to create small spacing between the teeth. Make a wide horizontal cut to make the opening of the mouth. Cut should be wide enough to expose red rind inside the mouth.
- Take a large rind piece and draw matching antler patterns using the dry erase marker. Draw the pattern making antlers thick enough so they won’t break when cut, but not too wide as to make them heavy. Cut out using paring knife and wipe off excess marker. Using toothpicks or several skewers, affix antlers to back of head as shown.
- Cut two triangles for eyes. Using a paring knife reshape with curves to resemble the eyes. Half a large purple or red grape and affix with a toothpick to front of eye pieces. Using toothpicks affix eyes to back of head as shown. If desired, create eyelashes with cut black licorice.
- Fill carving with watermelon balls or chunks, and other fruit.