- Choose an elongated watermelon for this carving. Wash the watermelon and pat dry.
- Cut the flat side of the bottom of the melon to stabilize and to make the handles and the key.
- On the discarded flat cut, use a dry erase marker to trace out the handles and the key (copy design from photo). Carve these items out of the rind and set aside.
- Use a dry erase marker to make a wavy line lengthwise through watermelon. Draw straps on sides of chest, and lock.
- Use a channel knife to carve straps and lock (copy from photo). Use tip of paring knife to carve the studs and lock.
- Cut center wavy line, using a utility knife, and pull watermelon in half.
- Use a large spoon to dig out watermelon flesh, and out of this make diamond shaped watermelon pieces for the treasure.
- Mix with assorted melon balls and Kiwi and carambola (star fruit) to resemble treasures.
- Fill watermelon with "treasure" salad and decorate with assorted jewels.
- Attach handles with small toothpicks, and garnish with key.