Trofie is a short, thin, twisted pasta that is ideal for holding pesto sauce. It is the traditional pasta of the northwestern region of Italy, called Liguria. In fact, it is often referred to as the “essence of Liguria” which reflects the Italian’s love of pasta in general! It also is very versatile. For example, try adding some chopped grilled chicken to this dish.
Watch the recipe video below.
- In a food processor, first blend mint and basil leaves. Add olive oil, pine nuts, lemon zest, garlic, lemon juice, and salt to taste. Continue blending until smooth. Set aside to allow flavors to blend. (Makes 1 cup)
- Place watermelon on a paper towel to drain excess liquid.
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to directions (approximately 15+ minutes), stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and drain. Leave pasta in the pan.
- While pasta is cooking, toast pine nuts in a small non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat, stirring constantly until they are toasted. Remove immediately and place on a plate so they don’t continue cooking and burn.
- Add the pesto to pasta and toss over low heat. Place pasta on plates and top with toasted pine nuts, watermelon, and remaining lemon zest.