For the Blanched Watermelon Rind
For the Watermelon Rind Filling
Blanched Watermelon Rind
- In medium saucepan set over medium-high heat, bring 2 cups water, sugar, vinegar and salt to a boil; cook, stirring, until sugar has dissolved. Add watermelon rind and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 5 minutes or until just tender. Drain well and let cool completely.
Watermelon Rind Filling
- In large skillet set over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add apples and watermelon rind and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 5 minutes or until starting to soften. Add brown sugar, granulated sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, vanilla, cloves and nutmeg; stir to coat. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, for 6 to 8 minutes or until apples are tender.
- In small bowl, stir together 1 tbsp water and cornstarch.
- Add cornstarch mixture to apple mixture. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 to 3 minutes or until sauce has thickened. Let cool completely, then stir in toffee bits.
- Preheat oven to 425°F with a rack set to the bottom third of oven. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In another small bowl, whisk together egg and 1 tbsp water.
- Unroll pastry crusts on lightly floured work surface. Cut out sixteen 4-inch squares, rerolling scraps as needed.
- Brush outer edges of 8 pastry squares with egg wash. Place a heaping tablespoon of filling in center of the 8 squares, leaving 1/2-inch border around edges. Cap with remaining pastry squares. Using fork, crimp edges to seal.
- Transfer hand pies to prepared baking sheets, spacing 2 inches apart. Brush tops with more egg wash. Cut 2 small vent holes in center of each hand pie and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool slightly before serving.
- Add a splash of bourbon, whiskey, rye or brandy to filling in Step 2 if desired.