This quiche created by Candy Barnhart in Makawao, Hawaii was awarded Honorable Mention in our 2017 Recipe Contest. The watermelon rind acts similar to that of an onion, taking on a soft and sweet flavor. Don’t skip the teriyaki sauce, it adds a surprisingly tasty kick! Like any quiche, this dish is customizable based on your preferences. Directions call to bake in a full-size pie plate and slice, but we divided ours into individual pie plans.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk eggs, teriyaki sauce and sour cream until evenly blended. Stir in watermelon rind and vegetables.
- Grease or coat with non-stick cooking spray a 9" pie plate.
- Pour mixture into pie plate and sprinkle with cheese and paprika.
- Bake 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to rest before cutting into 6 wedges. Serve warm or at room temperature. (We used individual pie pans and baked for 15 minutes).