- Mix rice vinegar, sesame oil, sugar and red pepper flakes to make spicy marinade. Divide marinade into 3 with 1/4 cup for rind slaw, 1/4 cup for shrimp marinade and remainder saved to brush on assembled crudite and melon garnishes.
- Snap tails off shrimp and mix with 1/4 cup marinade. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Drain marinated shrimp in colander and broil under high heat on metal baking pan for 5 minutes until shrimp turn pink and are no longer translucent. Chill for assembly.
- Scoop out flesh of watermelon and save for garnish and other recipes. Cut rind into 2" chunks of long strips.
- Slice 12 ounces of watermelon rind paper thin (we used a mandolin).
- Mix salt with thinly sliced rind and let sit for 10 minutes. Rinse salt off under running water in colander and let drain.
- Mix 1/4 cup marinade with sliced rind. Allow rind slaw to marinate in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before assembly.
- Cut ends off cucumbers. Optional to scrape down peel edges to create decorative sides. Cut 1 cm. thick round slices from middle thickest sections of cucumber until you have about 24 slices. Save ends to thinly slice to use for plate garnish.
- Place cucumber slice on plate.
- Place heaping tbs (about 1/2 oz.) of rind slaw on top of cucumber.
- Sprinkle with black sesame seeds.
- Top each crudite with a cooked chilled shrimp.
- Brush top of each crudite tower with marinade.
- Garnish plate with watermelon pieces and balls and thinly sliced cucumber skewered and brushed with marinade.
- Spicy rind slaw can also be served on top of Sushi rice or mixed with cooked shrimp, cucumbers, and other fresh vegetables in a fresh rice paper spring roll.