Watermelon Pulled Lamb Sliders
This Watermelon Pulled Lamb Sliders Recipe was created by CD Culinary Approach and Chef Dave Woolley.
- Pulled Lamb
- 1 boneless lamb shoulder, rolled and tied
- 1/2 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3-4 whole garlic cloves, slightly crushed
- dash salt and freshly ground black pepper
- olive oil (for cooking)
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 3 cups watermelon juice
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 10 slider buns
- Watermelon Slaw
- 2 cups watermelon, chopped into a small julienne
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 2 ounces thin sliced red onion, soaked in ice water for 10 minutes then drained
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 ounce lime juice
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- dash salt to taste
- 1 radish, sliced thin and then chopped into small julienne
- 1 cup of pickled watermelon rind, minced but still definable pieces
- Feta Creme
- 4 ounces crumbled feta
- 4 ounces whipped cream cheese
Pulled Lamb Instructions
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Mix together paprika, oregano, cumin and garlic powder. Rub lamb first with salt and pepper, and then the paprika mix. Lightly oil a high-sided roasting pan and add onion and garlic to pan. Place lamb on top. Pour in watermelon juice and chicken stock. Cover the roasting pan with foil and place in oven. Immediately reduce oven temperature to 300°F and braise for 3.5 hours. Remove lamb from oven and allow to cool. Remove the meat from the liquid (reserve liquid). Pull the lamb into small pieces. Reduce and taste the reserved cooking liquid, skimming off any fat. Add to shredded lamb and toss to mix. Reheat the non-stick pan or griddle and add a little olive oil, toss the seasoned lamb until warmed.
Feta Creme Instructions
In a food processor, mix ingredients until smooth. Hold cold until serving.
Watermelon Slaw Instructions
Toss together and refrigerate.
Slider Assembly Instructions
Gather the 10 warm slider buns, feta creme, pulled lamb, and watermelon slaw. Add ½ oz. Feta Crème spread evenly between top and bottom of a warm slider then add from the bottom bun up, 2 oz. of warm Pulled Lamb, then 1 oz. of Watermelon Slaw and top bun. Then pick with bamboo skewer and serve.
Makes 10 servings.