Wondering what to do with that leftover watermelon rind? Grate it and use it in this spin on a carrot cake, but using watermelon rinds! Inspired by 2018 Recipe Contest Entrant Greg Fontenot, this version of a carrot cake minus the carrots will delight and surprise you while saving those rinds from going to waste. Watch the recipe video below.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift together dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Separately, cut most of the red off the watermelon rind, a little is OK. Grate 2 cups of rind (green, white and a bit of red). Place in a dish towel and squeeze out most of the water.
- Mix rind mixture with eggs and oil in a large bowl.
- Pour rind mixture into dry ingredients and combine well.
- Divide into two 9-inch pans, greased and floured.
- Bake 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, let sit 5 minutes then remove from pans onto cooling racks. Let cool completely before icing.
- Let cream cheese and butter come to room temperature. Mix together with vanilla until smooth.
- Mix in powdered sugar and beat until icing is smooth.
- Iced one cake. Carefully place second cake on top of first. Ice top of second cake. Add small watermelon wedges as decoration, if using.