Hunger Games Mockingjay
- Very round Seedless Watermelon
- Green dry erase marker
- Large Chefs Knife & Paring Knife
- Mocking-Jay stencil
- Melon baller
- Channel knife
- Blueberries / blackberries
- Arrow shaped toothpicks
- Round cookie/biscuit cutter
- Yellow & red tissue paper
- Coat hanger
- Black topped straight pins
- Wash the watermelon under cool running water and pat dry.
- Using the large kitchen knife slice off about 1/2” from the bottom of the Watermelon to create a sturdy base.
- Use the dry erase marker to trace the Mocking-Jay stencil onto the watermelon and use the paring knife to carefully trip away and carve out the design from the carving, being careful to remove the pieces you are cutting away.
- Once the carving is complete carefully trim away large section of the back of the watermelon, almost creating the illusion of the carving is a shield with the fruit bowl behind the carving. Use the melon baller and scoop to remove any remaining watermelon and reserving to make a fruit salad.
- If desired, use a paring knife to carefully trim away a small amount green rind from the edges of the design to expose just a little bit of white around the edges and the design will stand out more and will add more dimension. Add the black straight pins to the Mocking-Jays eyes. Use a channel knife to create detail in the arrow and birds wings.
- Use the round cookie cutters to create targets to decorate around with and draw arrow designs on toothpicks with permanent marker.
- Tie yellow and red tissue paper around a coat hanger formed into a circle to create a ring of fire to place around the carving.
- Decorate with bowls of Blackberries and Blueberries and create signs that say Poison Berries. Fill the carving with watermelon balls and berries.