Red White and Blue Cheese Sliders
You cut the saturated fat and cholesterol to a fraction by switching from regular hamburger to ground turkey breast in these sliders, which are tasty all year around. The watermelon gives a nice cool, juiciness to the burger, while adding a hefty dose of antioxidants like vitamin C and lycopene.
- 1/2 cup low-fat crumbled blue cheese
- 1/4 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 2 to 4 drops Tabasco
- 1 bottle cooking spray
- 2 celery stalks, diced (approximately 1 /2 cup)
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced (approximately 1 /2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 pound ground turkey breast
- 2 tablespoons bread crumbs
- dash salt & pepper to taste
- 8 whole wheat slider buns
- 8 leaves of bibb lettuce
- 8 slices of watermelon, 4" X 4" X 1 /2"
1. In a small bowl, blend blue cheese, mayo, and Tabasco. Cover and refrigerate to let flavors blend.
2. Spray a medium, nonstick skillet and heat over medium-high. Add celery and onion and cook until onion is almost transparent, approximately 10 minutes. Add thyme and parsley. Toss and continue to cook for 4 minutes, or until parsley begins to wilt. Cool slightly.
3. In a medium bowl, blend turkey, bread crumbs, and celery mixture, as well as salt and pepper to taste, until thoroughly mixed. Divide into 8 small, flat patties.
4. Spray a nonstick skillet or griddle and heat on medium-high. Add patties and cook then turn and cook the other side until burger is cooked through, approximately 5 minutes per side.
5. While patties are cooking, add buns to griddle or pan to toast on one side.
6. Assemble sliders: Place ½ Tablespoon blue cheese mayo on the bottom of each bun. (In photo, slice of blue cheese instead of crumble/mayo). Top with burger, a slice of watermelon, bibb lettuce leaf, and other half of bun.
Makes 8 servings.
Serving size: 1 slider
Calories per serving: 281
Fat per serving: 7.8g
Saturated fat per serving: 2.4g
Cholesterol per serving: 36mg
Fiber per serving: 4g
Vitamin C per serving: 28mg
Calcium per serving: 95mg
Iron per serving: 2.5mg
Magnesium per serving: 73mg Potassium per serving: 568mg
Sodium per serving: 401mg