Layered Watermelon Popsicles
- Add watermelon, 2 tablespoons of sugar and lemon juice to a blender and blend until well pureed. Skim off foam and carefully pour into up to 10 popsicle molds filling to about ⅔ full. Cover with the lid and insert the popsicle sticks and freeze for 3 hours. Watermelon juice separates naturally so stir it gently every 30 minutes. Once the juice is slushed, sprinkle chocolate chips over the tops and push gently down to immerse, keeping some touching the insides of the molds.
- After three hours, whisk coconut milk, 1 ½ tablespoons of sugar until sugar is dissolved and chill 30 minutes. You want a nice pourable consistency after chilling, not too thick. If it thickens too much stir in 1-2 tablespoons of cold water to thin.
- Remove popsicles from freezer and pour about a tablespoon of coconut milk into an even layer over the watermelon layer. Return to freezer, uncovered, and chill for at least 45 minutes. Meanwhile, peel the kiwis (or cut tops and scoop out flesh) and transfer the fruit to the blender along with 2 tablespoons of sugar. Pulse until pureed. Pour through a mesh strainer to remove seeds and chill the puree for 30 minutes.
- Take popsicles from freezer and top each with kiwi mixture, about a tablespoon each. Return to freezer and chill until popsicles are fully solid, about 2-3 hours.
- To remove popsicles from molds, turn tray to the side and run plastic molds under warm water several seconds without letting water touch the kiwi at the top. Then slowly pull from molds.
Leave a Review