Watermelon Rind Relish
Watermelon Adobo Dressing:
- For the pork belly: Preheat the oven to 325°F. Combine sugar, watermelon juice, rice vinegar, soy sauce, fish sauce and lime juice in a bowl and stir to combine.
- Place pork belly in an oven proof dish and cover with the mixture. Cover with foil.
- Braise belly for 2 hours in the oven. Chill. Once cold, cut the pork belly into 1 inch cubes.
- For the watermelon rind relish: Combine watermelon rinds with sugar, vinegar, lime juice, cilantro stems, garlic, ginger, and salt. Let sit for 1 hour refrigerated.
- Combine all the dressing ingredients into a sauce pot, bring to a simmer, and cool.
- For the dressing: Place all the dressing ingredients together in mixing bowl and whisk together until combined.
- For the salad: Coat watermelon pieces in peanut oil and grill on high until charred on both sides. Cut in half.
- Coat pork belly in flour, salt and pepper and deep fry at 350°F until crispy.
- To assemble: Toss pork belly with watermelon rind relish, and the rest of the salad ingredients. Toss with the dressing.
- Plate grilled watermelon pieces with the pork belly salad on top. Garnish with basil leaves and additional rind relish.