For the Fruit Topping
For the Biscuits
For the Whipped Cream
- In a food processor, combine 1 cup of the watermelon and sugar. Pulse until smooth and transfer to a large bowl. Add the quartered strawberries and remaining 1 cup cubed watermelon, toss to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit for 30 minutes and up to 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, make the biscuits. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt, and 1 tablespoon of the sugar together.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of the cream and stir just until the dough comes together. (It will be ragged at first but will smooth out as the dough is kneaded.)
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead until the dough is mostly smooth. Pat into a 3/4-inch-thick round.
- Using a circular biscuit cutter or pairing knife cut out 3 or 4 rounds in 3-4 inch circles and place them on your prepared baking sheet. Bring the scraps together and pat out to make more biscuits. Repeat until all the dough is used. You should end up with 6 biscuits.
- Brush the tops of the biscuits with the reserved heavy cream and sprinkle with the reserved sugar. Bake the biscuits for 15 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- While the biscuits bake, make the whipped cream. In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the whipping cream and vanilla. Beat at medium high speed until soft peaks form, then, with the mixer running, slowly add the sugar until the soft peaks become slightly firmer.
- To assemble the shortcakes, cut the biscuits in half. Place the bottom half on a plate and top it with whipped cream, followed by a spoonful of the strawberry-watermelon mixture. Cover with the top half of the biscuit and top with one last scoop of cream and strawberry- watermelon mixture. Serve immediately.
- Serving size
- Calories per serving
- Fat per serving
- Saturated fat per serving
- Trans fat per serving
- Cholesterol per serving
- Sodium per serving
- Carbohydrates per serving
- Fiber per serving
- Sugar per serving
- Protein per serving