This entry is part of the 2018 Use the Whole Watermelon Recipe Contest Winners. Watermelon rind is candied with lemon flavors in this delicious recipe by Mary Shivers, winner of the rind category in the 2018 Use the Whole Watermelon Recipe Contest. With a gumdrop-type texture, these candies are great for garnishing cocktails or as a topping for cakes or cookies. To boost the watermelon flavor, try substituting two cups of watermelon juice for two cups of water when boiling the rind.
- In a 2-quart pot, stir water and salt together. Add watermelon rind. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and boil for 10 minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat and drain well.
- In a 1-quart saucepan, stir together 1 cup sugar, lemon juice, zest, and extract. Stir in drained watermelon rind. Cook over medium-low heat for 15-20 minutes or until mixture is thick, stirring often.
- Thickly spread ½ cup of remaining sugar on a 12x12-inch sheet of wax paper.
- Drain mixture and drop by teaspoonfuls onto sugar. Dust tops with remaining ¼ cup of sugar.
- Gently roll candy pieces in sugar, completely coating. Cool for 10 minutes (refrigerator optional) then roll in sugar again. Cool completely before placing candies on a small plate to serve.