- 1 small-medium round seedless yellow watermelon
- Kitchen Knife & paring knife
- Cutting board
- Green dry erase marker
- Channel knife & Exacto knife
- Round circle cutter or small cup to use to make a circle
- Wash the watermelon under cool running water and pat dry.
- On a cutting board, place the watermelon on its side and cut off 1/4”-1/2” from the stem end, being careful not to cut too deep into the white part of the rind. This will provide a sturdy base.
- Use the dry erase marker to form a lopsided circle around the watermelon, this will form the minions coveralls. Draw 2 arm holes.
- Using a paring knife make a shallow cut.
- Outline the skull template using the dry erase marker.
- Use the Channel knife to trim away the outline of the skull you made with the template. Once the outline is made, use a paring knife to trim away 1/4”-1/3” space next to your outline, being carful to leave a few places, like the lower bones attached to the watermelon so the entire skull does not come completely away from the carving. (*If you do cut all the way around, use toothpicks to secure the skull back to the watermelon in several places).
- Carefully use the Exacto knife to trim away extra green skin so that there is white trim showing all the way around your skull so it is more defined.
- Decorate with a black licorice disk attached with a toothpick or straight pin, tuck in a piece from a bandanna or a hoop earring and add flameless candles to light up your carving.
- Place on a tray and add watermelon balls to serve.