Relish is perfect on hot dogs during a summer day. The only thing to top that...is adding Watermelon to your relish.
- 2 cups watermelon rind, dark-green skin removed and white part cut in 1/3-inch dice
- 1 cup watermelon juice
- 2 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 ½ cups water and ¾ cup water, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- pinch cinnamon and cloves
- 2 cups diced watermelon
Mix rind with 2 1/2 cups water and 2 tablespoons salt. Let stand covered at room temperature overnight. Drain and rinse well.
In medium saucepan, combine sugar with 3/4 cup water, 2 teaspoons salt, the lemon zest and juice, cinnamon and cloves. Bring to a boil over medium heat, add the rind and cook gently for about 40 minutes or until the rind is translucent and tender (do not boil hard as mixture could caramelize). When done, remove from heat and cool. Lastly, mix in the diced watermelon.
The watermelon relish will keep refrigerated for 4 days. Makes ¾ quart. Serving suggestion: mince the final relish for a salad topping or sandwich spread.
Makes 3/4 of a quart.