- 1 large oblong seedless watermelon
- Paring or kitchen knives
- Pencil or green dry erase marker
- Cut a thin slice from the bottom to provide a stable base.
- Draw the outlines for the whale as shown in the drawing above.
- Use a knife or decorating tool to cut the decorated edges on the side, and a knife to cut the tail and head. Cut all the way through the rind.
- Remove the top section of rind; it can be cut into pieces to make removal easier.
- Carve the mouth and eyes, cutting only into the green outer layer.
- Cut a small, deep hole for a blowhole; inserting dried flowers for the water spout.
- Hollow the shell; fill with approx. 4 cups of fruit salad.