Roasted Watermelon Rind Parmesan
Since watermelon is both a fruit AND a vegetable, this rather ingenious recipe by Helen Fields in Paradise, Texas was awarded First Place in the “Rind” category in our 2017 Recipe Contest. The roasted watermelon rind makes an delicious appetizer/pre-dinner nibble – a must try!
- 5 cups peeled and chopped watermelon rind, 1 to 1-1/2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 rounded teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon thyme leaves (may use regular thyme)
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 3/4 teaspoon sherry vinegar
Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil. Baking sheet should have about 1-inch sides. Do not use a flat sheet as oil may drip off into oven.
In a large bowl stir together watermelon rind, olive oil, Kosher salt and black pepper until rind is coated. Spread rind in a single layer onto baking sheet. Place in oven and roast 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes until rind is bite tender (not mushy), and browning.
Pour roasted rind into a medium bowl and stir together with cheese, thyme, rosemary, and vinegar.
Garnish as desired. Serve warm.
Makes 4 Servings.