This American Summer Holidays guacamole is perfect for your 4th of July celebration. Served in a mini watermelon bowl, this spicy Firecracker Guacamole is delicious, low in sodium and a good source of Vitamin C.
Recipe and photo courtesy of the California Avocado Commission. Copyright © 2016
Visit CaliforniaAvocado.com for more facts about avocados, recipes, nutrition information and view California Avocado grower stories.
- 1 mini seedless watermelon
- 8 ripe, Fresh California Avocados, peeled, seeded and coarsely mashed
- 1/4 cup minced green onions
- 2 tomatoes ripe, seeded and diced
- 4 habanero chiles, stemmed, seeded and minced (or less, to taste)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- dash salt (to taste)
1. Roll the watermelon to find the flattest side; place that side on bottom. Slice the top third of the watermelon off. Wrap and set aside. Hollow out the red watermelon from the remaining watermelon section; reserve fruit for another use. A rice paddle works well for this task. Make sure all of the red part of the watermelon is removed. Pat dry with paper towels, then sprinkle with salt. Place upside down on a rimmed tray lined with paper towels and refrigerate overnight.
2. For the guacamole, gently combine all ingredients in a medium serving bowl. Let sit for at least 10 minutes for the flavors to blend.
3. With paper towels, rub inside of watermelon bowl to remove salt and thoroughly dry. Fill with Firecracker Guacamole, serve and enjoy!
Variation: For a milder guacamole substitute a mild chile pepper for the habanero, or omit the chile.
Serving Suggestion: Serve with fresh veggies or crisp chips.
Beverage Pairings: Goes great with a watermelon smoothie or watermelon margarita.
Makes 16 Servings.
Serving size: 1 serving
Calories per serving: 140
Fat per serving: 11g
Cholesterol per serving: 0g
Saturated fat per serving: 1.5g
Fiber per serving: 30g